Chipping away at the new Tau army. I have ~1500 points or so now, enough to take to a tournament somewhere in the near future. In the meantime, I painted up a Fire Warrior test model for color scheme and a Hammerhead (Longstrike’s ride, of course). I wanted to make sure I stayed away from the other paint schemes I have (Orange/Black/Brown for Space Marines, Yellow/Red for Noise Marines and Bone/Red for Eldar), so I went with Blue/Silver.

The Hammerhead only took about 3 hours from start to finish (including sealing it), but that’s without an airbrush. Crisis Suits will have a silver/blue paint scheme more in line with the Hammerhead. The Fire Warriors will be just a bit lighter (blue) than the test model (I didn’t dilute the blue ink I used for the wash enough).

Here’s the Fire Warrior test model:

20140525_091127

20140525_091153

And here is the Hammerhead (the turret and SMS ‘drones’ come off and the weapon mount is magnetized). The blue ink wash really makes the blue ‘pop’:

20140525_091256

20140525_091339

20140525_091406

Thanks for looking!

Advertisements

You know those Shuriken Cannons that come with the Wraith Knight models? The ones you’ll never use? And you ever just paint the canopies on your Falcons (and Falcon variants) because you don’t feel like gluing and painting the pilot? Well, I am glad to say that they make GREAT conversions for Jet Bikes!

20140506_211132

Like I’ve said before, I get a good portion of my models in really cheap ‘job lots’ from Ebay and then do my best to bring them to tabletop quality. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. Either way, it doesn’t cost me too much. The rider for this particular Jetbike conversion (restoration? remodeling?) is made up of: head and torso from a Vyper gunner, arms and ‘steering wheel’ from a Falcon pilot, the legs from a guardian, and some green stuff. To fit the steering wheel I removed some of the jetbike’s hood. The rest was relatively simple to position and glue in place.

20140506_211149

The Shuriken Cannon upgrade was a snap: I clipped off a small portion from the undercarriage of the jetbike and cut/shaved the back end of the Shuriken Cannon. The shape matches the nose of the jetbike pretty well. To keep it in place, I used three (3) 1/8″ magnets (1/16″ thick, I think). The third magnet is just a filler to keep the Shuriken Cannon level. I dry fit the pieces to see where the three magnets would fit best, then glued one to the cannon. Once that set, I popped the other magnets on, put a drop of glue on the third one, held it in place on the jetbike and sprayed it with activator (I tried just holding it in place until it set, but that didn’t work).

20140506_211233

I also decided to salvage a conversion bit I made a while ago for an Autarch with Swooping Hawk wings. That model never got finished, as it was never going to see table time anyway. This one will have a decent chance to.

20140506_211404

The gryphon was cheap and a simple head-swap makes a pretty cool Exodite Autarch (on a jetbike!). I will also be converting the lance.

20140506_211326